A Hibachi Incident

HibachiA sizzling hot hibachi grill

Did you hear about the actress Tori Spelling? She was having a meal with her family in a Japanese restaurant when she tripped and fell onto a sizzling hot hibachi grill. It was reported she sustained deep second- and third-degree burn injuries requiring hospitalization and surgery. [1]

From the viewpoint of the Home Chef’s Kitchen Medical Emergency Guide, all home kitchens and restaurants are functionally the same. They all involve fire, heat, stoves, eating utensils, serving plates, glasses, furniture, food, servers, and all objects and people and everything in between.

“Most common kitchen injuries can be avoided by the chef simply being aware of what he or she is doing and taking proper preventive measures,” according to the HCKMEG. “We recall an ancient patron of a notable French restaurant in midtown Manhattan toppling down the stairs to the men’s room, glass goblet of red wine (no doubt of good vintage) in hand, resulting in large pieces of glass in and blood gushing from his forehead.”

There is also a recalled incident of a basket of paper-thin bread (so named “music bread” because of its likeness to sheet music) bursting into flame in a fine restaurant across the street from Carnegie Hall when the bread basket was placed too close to the low candles on the table, and the overflowing edges of the bread ignited. A Johnny-on-the-spot waiter extinguished the ensuing ceiling high flame with a bottle of sparkling Pellegrino water rapidemente.

Look at it this way, be it home or out, when it comes to cooking and eating, it’s all the same stuff.

Sources:
http://www.people.com/article/tori-spelling-hospital-burns-hibachi-grill-benihana
The Home Chef’s Kitchen Medical Emergency Guide

Photo Credits:
Photo By amberjean via StockPholio.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *